- Intelligent and playful without being high strung.
- Retain kitten like personality into adulthood.
- Tend to be one-person only cats.
- Reserved around strangers.
The Cymric (kim-rick) is a longhaired mutation resulting from purebred Manx parents. Although longhaired Manx have always appeared in Manx litters, it was only recently that breeders have attempted to have them recognized as a separate breed or breed division. The International Cat Association (TICA) considers Cymrics as a separate breed from Manx. In the Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA), Cymrics are referred to as Longhaired Manx, a division of the Manx. Recognized for championship status in all breed associations.
- Medium, stout, and compact with sturdy bone structure.
- Rump is extremely broad and round with no tail, or only a partial tail.
- Head is round with prominent cheeks and wide, rounded ears.
- Eyes are large, round and conform to coat color.
- Silky, double coat is dense, medium long, and forms a ruff around the neck.
- Colors include solids, tabbies, and parti-colors.
Health and Wellness:
- The gene that causes a shortened or absent tail may also cause spinal problems, weak hindquarters, colon defects and urinary tract defects.
- Kitten buyers should look for kittens that move freely (without a hop), stand easily on all four feet, and that have clean, dry, hindquarters.
- Fecal incontinence.
What you should know:
- Hindquarters are higher than fore.
- Rumpies, entirely tailless and often with a dimple where the tail would have been, are most prized in the show ring.
- Rumpie-risers have one to three tail vertebrae and are allowable in the ring as long as the vertebrae do not stop the judge’s hand stroking down the rump.
- Stumpies have a short tail stump.
- Longies have a tail almost as long as the average cat.
- Although only the tailless Cymrics are accepted for championship, littermates may be of any tail length.
- All true Manx and Cymrics can trace their pedigrees back to the Isle of Man. Only real difference from the Manx is the longer coat length.