- Spanish Hound
Country/Date of origin:
- 18 to 22 inches
- 45 to 55 pounds
- Can be somewhat temperamental.
- It is not an easy dog to train to house-living.
- Very energetic, with a forceful sense of purpose.
- Loyal to its owner.
A scent-hunting dog much like a Foxhound. The Sabueso is thought to be of French origin but is now essentially a Spanish breed. Breed classes are divided by size with the smaller, under 20-1/2 inches more commonly seen. A forceful hunter, the Sabueso can be used in a pack or individually as a line or tracking hound and is sometimes used to find missing persons by the police. Rarely seen outside its native land.
- Hound with a Foxhound in appearance.
- The long tail is carried low and is not altered.
- The hanging ears are very long and folded. They are not altered.
- Short and smooth.
- The color may be any shade of red with white markings.
- Black markings are not common but allowed.
- Minimal grooming required.
Health and Wellness:
- May have ear problems.
- Hip dysplasia.
What you should know:
- Does not make a very good house pet.
- Needs room to run.
- Obedience training is highly recommended.
- A willful nature is typical.
- Will be difficult to find outside of Spain.